EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (Subject to Funding)
Aanischaaukamikw is the cultural centre for the nine Cree communities of Eeyou Istchee in Northern Quebec. This major facility is located in Oujé-Bougoumou, QC, a community of 700 persons. Aanischaaukamikw is a multi-purpose cultural entity, bringing together regional cultural programming for the Cree Nation for all to share on-site and throughout the communities.
We are seeking a Interpreter/Tour Guide to work alongside our Education Team for 4 months, starting in May 2016 and finishing at the end of August 2016, to help provide Tours of our building and Exhibit, and to facilitate educational activities for large groups.
The language of work is English. French is a definite asset. Any Cree language abilities are an asset but not required. Students from one of the 9 Cree communities of the Cree Nation are highly encouraged to apply. ACCI may be able to assist with accommodation arrangements if required
* Providing guided tours of Aanischaaukamikw and especially, the Exhibition Hall
* Greeting guests to Aanischaaukamikw and collection of tour monies
* Booking tours for individuals and tour groups
* Maintaining the tour/visitor calendar and collecting visitor statistics
* Occasionally replacing receptionist
* Handling telephone inquiries
* Photocopying, mail outs, other administrative duties as required
* Participating in training offered and self-directed learning pertaining to the museum collections and Aanischaaukamikw programs
PREFERRED CANDIDATE PROFILE
* Ideal for students thinking of pursuing a degree or certificate in Museum Studies, Anthropology, First Nations / Aboriginal studies
* Intermediate computer skills required. Candidate should have basic understanding of Microsoft Office programs.
* Understanding of Cree culture and heritage, traditions and practices
* Personal Interest in learning about Cree culture, heritage, tradition and practices
* Ability to discuss both agreed-upon information as well as respond to informal questions from visitors
* Candidate should be self-motivated, with a positive approach to work.
* Candidate should have good organizational skills.
* French and Cree language skills are an asset but not required.
* Students from the 9 Cree communities of the Cree Nation are highly encouraged to apply.
* Student must be between the ages of 18-30
* Student must have completed full time studies in the spring 2016 term and be returning to study in autumn 2016
SALARY AND WORKING CONDITIONS
* Full time, 35 hours a week (typically 9am-5pm, evenings and weekend hours may be required)
* Wage: $18.00/hr
* Suggested start date: 2 May 2016
* Suggested end date: 26 August 2016
To apply please send a resume / curriculum vitae via mail or email by March 30, 2016 to the attention of Rob Imrie, Director of Programs
Aanischaakamikw Cree Cultural Institute,
205 Opemiska Meskino, Ouje Bougoumou,
QC G0W 3C0
Tel: 418-775-2444 ex 2101
Please feel free to contact Rob Imrie by phone or email if you have any questions about the position.
This employment opportunity is made available through funding provided by Young Canada Works. All applicants must be registered with YCW and meet all eligibility requirements. This position is subject to funding.