Aanischaaukamikw is the cultural centre for the nine Cree communities of Eeyou Istchee in Northern Quebec. This major facility is located in Oujé-Bougoumou, QC, a community of 700 persons. Aanischaaukamikw is a multi-purpose cultural entity, bringing together regional cultural programming for the Cree Nation for all to share on-site and throughout the communities. Aanischaaukamikw Cree Cultural Institute is presently seeking a:
LIBRARY ASSISTANT – INTERN
We are seeking a Library Intern to work alongside our Librarian for 4 months, starting in November for 20 weeks, to help maintain ACCI’s professional library standards according to our policies and procedures.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• Candidates must be between the ages of 18-30
• Candidates must have graduated from a college or university within the last 24 months
• Ideal for students thinking of pursuing a post-graduate degree or certificate in Information Management, Archiving or Library Sciences.
• Intermediate computer skills required. Candidate should have basic understanding of Microsoft Office programs.
• Candidate should be self-motivated, with a positive approach to work.
• Candidate should have good organisational skills.
• Candidate should be comfortable working at a desk for 7 hours a day, most of which will be on a computer.
DESCRIPTION OF TASKS
• Assisting with the creation of the Brian Deer classifications for the library books
• Assisting with cataloguing new library material in our database (MINISIS/M2L)
• Cataloguing the media files (cds, dvds)
• Assisting with the development of procedures relating to the public use computers
• Assisting with research queries and supervision of the library
• Digitising cover pages for unique Cree language materials for our online public catalogue
• Assisting the librarian with borrower registration
• Assisting the librarian with annual inventory of library holdings
• Assisting with the cataloguing of our rare book collection
• Assisting with the disposal of unwanted library materials
MARKETABLE SKILLS TO BE GAINED
• Data entry following data standards
• Proficiency in database use
• Organising information & information management
• Understanding of basic library procedures
• Independent working and team work
• Development of analytical skills and problem solving
• Development of skills to organise work, to prioritise and to be flexible
• Skills in using digitisation equipment
• Inventory skills
SALARY AND WORKING CONDITIONS
• Full time, 35 hours a week (typically 9am-5pm, evenings and weekend hours may be required)
• Wage: $18.00/hr
• Suggested start date: 1 November 2016
• Suggested end date: 31 March 2017
Please send your application and curriculum vitae via regular mail, fax or email by Friday September 30, 2016 at 5:00 p.m. to the following address:
Director of Programs
Aanischaaukamikw Cree Cultural Institute
205 Opemiska Meskino
PO Box 1168
We thank everyone that applies, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
This employment opportunity is made available through funding provided by Young Canada Works. All applicants must be registered with YCW and meet all eligibility requirements. This position is subject to funding.