Aanischaaukamikw is the cultural centre for the nine Cree communities of Eeyou Istchee in Northern Quebec. This major facility is located in Oujé-Bougoumou, QC, a community of 700 persons. Aanischaaukamikw is a multi-purpose cultural entity, bringing together regional cultural programming for the Cree Nation for all to share on-site and throughout the communities. Aanischaaukamikw Cree Cultural Institute is presently seeking a:
ARCHIVES ASSISTANT – INTERN
We are seeking an Archives Intern to work alongside our Collections team for 4 months, starting in November for 20 weeks, and finishing at the end of March 2017, to help maintain ACCI’s professional archival standards according to our policies and procedures.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• Candidates must be between the ages of 18-30
• Candidates must have graduated from a college or university within the last 24 months
• Ideal for graduates thinking of pursuing a post-graduate degree or certificate in Information Management, Archiving or Library Sciences.
• Intermediate computer skills required. Candidate should have basic understanding of Microsoft Office programs.
• Candidate should be self-motivated, with a positive approach to work.
• Candidate should have good organisational skills.
• Candidate should be comfortable working at a desk for 7 hours a day, most of which will be on a computer.
• The language of work is English, with French a definite asset.
• Cree language abilities are an asset but not required.
DESCRIPTION OF TASKS
• Assisting with the physical and intellectual arrangement of archives
• Assisting with cataloguing new archives in our database (MINISIS/M2A)
• Digitising archives at an item level for addition to our database and for online public access
• Assisting with research queries and supervision of researchers into the archives
• Digitisation of photographs in the archives collections
• Assisting with the research of photograph content from within the Cree communities
• Social media posts relating to archival collections
• Repacking and rehousing of archival collections
MARKETABLE SKILLS TO BE GAINED
• Data entry following data standards
• Proficiency in database use
• Organising information & information management
• Understanding of basic archiving procedures
• Independent working and team work
• Development of analytical skills and problem solving
• Development of skills to organise work, to prioritise and to be flexible
• Skills in using digitisation equipment
• Cataloguing skills
SALARY AND WORKING CONDITIONS
• Full time, 35 hours a week (typically 9am-5pm, evenings and weekend hours may be required)
• Wage: $18.00/hr
• Suggested start date: 1 November 2016
• Suggested end date: 31 March 2017
Please send your application and curriculum vitae via regular mail, fax or email by Friday September 30, 2016 at 5:00 p.m. to the following address:
Director of Programs
Aanischaaukamikw Cree Cultural Institute
205 Opemiska Meskino
PO Box 1168
We thank everyone that applies, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
This employment opportunity is made available through funding provided by Young Canada Works. All applicants must be registered with YCW and meet all eligibility requirements. This position is subject to funding.