Aanischaaukamikw is the cultural centre for the nine Cree communities of Eeyou Istchee in Northern Quebec. This major new facility is located in Oujé-Bougoumou, QC, a community of 700 persons. Aanischaaukamikw is a multi-purpose cultural entity, bringing together regional cultural programming for the Cree Nation for all to share on-site and throughout the communities. Aanischaaukamikw is presently seeking a:
ACCI is seeking an enthusiastic and dedicated individual for the position of Program Developer. The Program Developer is a 6-month contract position responsible for developing Interpretative materials for tourism entrepreneurs in the area. Under the Director of Programs supervision, the Program Developer will work at developing interpretative materials based on the criteria outlined in the special project description. Working closely with tourism entrepreneurs and artisans the kits developed will be used to enhance tourism packages. The Program Developer will conduct research on relevant aspects to include in kits that highlight to unique landscape and region.
QUALIFICATIONS, ABILITITIES AND EXPERIENCE
• A Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Museum Studies, Museum Education, History, Education, or related field
• Minimum three years of experience in Museum setting and preferably in a cultural institution environment
• Experience in program or curriculum development, and in coordination of departments or projects
• Experience in client services and tourism hosting
• Experience with preparing interpretative materials
• Knowledge of native history and culture (Cree, Naskapi, Innu, Inuit) and native material culture
• Excellent oral and written skills in English, with French being a definite asset
• Ability to provide training or host workshops
• Strong negotiation skills
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Strong computer skills
• Strong customer focus
• Ability to multitask and meet strict deadlines under pressure
• A valid drivers license
• Knowledge and experience with Cree entities and their administrative systems is a major asset
• Research ACCI material and Archival collections to determine contents of kits.
• Collaborate with other organizations in the area on the development of interpretative kits.
• Coordinate editing, design, and production of interpretative publications with other museum departments.
• Develop and establish programs and activities for the museum in accordance with Aanischaaukamikw’s mandate.
• Consult with regional entities regarding interpretative materials
• Conduct focus group studies to test educational kits
• Work with graphic designers to develop cover designs and brand of the kits
• Design safe storage for the contents of the interpretative kits
• Assist regional entities, tourism operators, and community members to learn how to benefit from new programs and services;
• Plan and coordinate training and workshops based on the interpretative materials.
• Create school and public programs for a variety of target audiences to be used in both the museum and in local schools in accordance with Aanischaaukamikw’s mandate and Cree School Board and Ministry programming; coordinates with schools to establish and maintain integrated curriculum.
• Self-confidence, optimism, persistence, and stamina
• A disciplined, multi-faceted and organized individual with the personal flexibility to deal simultaneously with a variety of situations
• A direct, clear, approachable and compassionate, with a sense of humour and the capacity to make decisions
• An open, friendly communicator with superior interpersonal skills.
• Excellent computer skills, including familiarity with digital formats
• Strong attention to detail
• Ability to work under tight deadlines
• Commitment to working in a participatory, team-based environment
• Ability to build positive relationships with the organization’s partners and supporters
SALARY AND WORKING CONDITIONS
• Contract for a period of 6 months: 35 hours per week
• The employment opportunity is subject to funding
Please send your application and curriculum vitae via regular mail, fax or email by Friday October 14, 2016 at 5:00 pm to the following address:
Director of Programs
Aanischaaukamikw Cree Cultural Institute
205 Opemiska Meskino
Tel: 418-745-2444 Ext. 2022
We thank everyone that applies, but only the chosen candidates for an interview will be contacted.